Who would you rather trust to protect you - industry leaders that keep up to date on the latest security innovations or the dinosaurs that are slow to adapt to change? Reed Security recently traveled to China in search of the smartest, most innovative security camera technology on the planet. We even found security cameras at the Great Wall of China near Beijing (population 21.7 million). Life is different in China. A number of things stood out right away:1. China has the largest population in the world with nearly 1.4 billion people. People are Everywhere - both the sidewalks and the streets are congested. Be prepared to be bumped into and race to the front of the line.
2. Huge growth in construction. It's common the see clusters of construction cranes of 20 or more at one development (we lost count of how many developments we saw). Apartment buildings are built at record speeds to house the growing population.
3. China is the manufacturing mecca of the world and exports more than 2 trillion USD a year. All the manufacturing has a side effect - a light to heavy smog in the cities we visited.
4. The Chinese people work hard, but about the same as the average Canadian worker. Both work about 2000 to 2200 hours a year.
5. Chinese elementary and middle school students outwork Canadian students. The school day runs from 8am to 4pm. After dinner its 1-2 hours of daily homework.
6. You are unable to use FaceBook, Instagram, Google Maps, Gmail, YouTube and several other web sites.
7. Don't feel too bad. Over 963 Million
Chinese people use the WeChat app
for social media and for digital payments.
is the Google of China and has an 82%
market share . A censored version of Google has a 10%
market share in China.
9. The Chinese people are technologically advanced and use their smartphones constantly (including when we were almost run over by a moped).
10. How many security cameras can you count at this Shanghai (population 25.2 million) intersection? CCTV cameras are EVERYWHERE in China and you definitely have the feeling that you are being watched.
11. However, you also feel safe.
Where is all the data stored? How is the data being used?
12. There is a shortage of factory workers in China and employees have a choice on where to work.
13. Made in China 2025
is a government lead initiative to use Robots
and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
at factories to keep production costs low as labour costs increase
. What are we doing in Canada to stay competitive?
14. We visited the head office of our partner Hikvision
in Hangzhou (population 9.2 million). Hikvision
is the largest video surveillance manufacturer in the world.
15. In 2016, Hikvision
annual sales were 4.6 Billion USD
and they currently have 20,000+ employees (9,000 are engineers).
16. Proud members of the Hikvision
North American Support Team were gracious hosts and provided V.I.P. treatment
all day. They were happy to showcase solutions
and answer our questions.
17. Visits to the Hikvision
head office are paid for by the customer
18. We were impressed with the Hikvision
showroom where there was a strong emphasis on Applications
- using technology to solve problems. Smart Facial Detection technology predicted Virgil's height +/- 3 cm.
19. The Hikvision
factory has more than 2 million square feet
and manufacturers 100,000
security cameras a day. That's over 36 million
security cameras a year!
20. We weren't allowed to take pictures of the inside for privacy reasons.
21. You can see the Hikvision
artificial intelligence strategy at work as little orange self-driving, self charging robots
move products from assembly lines to storage areas (Hikvision
manufacturers the robots).
22. The robots complement factory workers who work a regular 8:30am to 4:30pm shift and live in company-provided apartments right next door to the factory.
23. At the employees choosing they can return to work after dinner for some overtime.
We Help Families Feel Safe and Connect Them to Their Homes. We also Help Businesses Reduce Theft and Re-Gain Control.
Contact Us today for a Free Security Evaluation or to find out How We Can Help You.
Reed Security Headquarters
Call 306.653.3200 or 1.844.384.SAFE