The Saskatoon Police Service has a Crime Mapping Tool that you can use to learn about all the criminal offences and traffic collisions that have occurred in our community.
In 2017 Saskatoon had 2543 property crimes (break-ins) which is a 10 percent increase over the 2292 property crimes we experienced in 2016.
What's causing the increase in property crime?
One of the reasons is that our city is growing. As of July 2017 Saskatoon's population was estimated at 271,000. As our city grows so do the social problems that go along with it.
Another reason is we now have a synthetic drug problem - specifically with fentanyl and crystal meth. People are addicted and need money to fuel the addiction. There's also a big increase in theft of vehicles, theft from vehicles and armed robberies.
Check out this 2016 interview between former Saskatoon Police Chief, Clive Weighill, and Global News. (the video quality is poor ,but the explanation is good).
What can you do to combat break-in's, vehicle theft, theft from vehicles and robberies?
1. USE COMMON SENSE
- DO NOT advertise on Facebook or Instagram that you are on vacation. Social media is the equivalent of a diary in a glass house.
- You may think you’re letting your friends and family know you’re having a great time, but people often forget to change their privacy settings. Thieves will also know you are travelling.
- If you like to post photos - post them after you get back.
- If you lose a key, then get the locks changed. A better alternative is to eliminate keys altogether by installing an alarm.com smart lock with built in keypad.
- Ask all strangers for identification. The person who is “lost” and looking for directions could actually be a burglar checking to see if someone is home.
- Never hide an extra key outdoor - especially underneath a mat or on top of a light fixture. This is the first place the bad guys look. Leave an extra house key with a friend or a neighbor. Again, a better alternative is to eliminate keys altogether by installing an alarm.com smart lock with built in keypad.
- For insurance purposes take photos of the contents of your home and keep all receipts in an off-site location. Great options are Google Drive, Microsoft Cloud and Dropbox.
- Write down the model and serial number of all electronics. This will come in handy for a future Police report and insurance claim.
- Do not leave valuables such as your wallet, loose change, electronics and expensive clothing in a vehicle.
2. MAKE IT DIFFICULT
- Door chains are easy to bypass. Install deadbolts. We have alarm.com smart lock options with built in deadbolts.
- Install window bars on all basement windows. They are a great visual deterrent and can be connected to a monitored home security system.
- Install a stopper or stick on all sliding doors and windows. You can find these at your local hardware store such as Home Hardware, Canadian Tire or Rona.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked. Many burglars go door to door looking for targets that forgot to lock their front doors.
- For cabins, consider installing roller window and door shutters. Visit kimbel.ca to see samples.
- Do not leave unattended vehicles running
- Do not leave keys in a vehcile
- Make sure you lock the doors on your vehicle
3. MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YOU ARE AT HOME
- Burglars target unoccupied homes so keep your home well lit at night. Install timers that turn lights, radios and televisions on at different times. This gives the appearance that someone is home. A better option is to install alarm.com smart lights and smart appliance modules and setup on an alternating schedules.
- If you’re taking an extended vacation of more than a week, hire a student or service to shovel your driveway.
- Cancel the newspaper and have a friend or neighbour pick-up your mail.
- Park a vehicle in the drive-way. Don’t forget to lock the doors and remove any valuables.
4. INSTALL A MONITORED HOME OR CABIN SECURITY SYSTEM
The insurance companies agree. You are 400% less likely to have a break-in and can qualify for an insurance discount of up to 25%.
- NEW! $0 Equipment, $0 Installation Plans
- No Phone Line required
- 24/7 Monitored Protection from intrusion, fire, flood, low temperature, and carbon monoxide
- Includes Police / RCMP and Fire Department dispatch and Call List notification
- Optional ALARM.COM - control your smart lights, smart locks, and smart thermostat with *free apps
- Optional ReedHD™ Wi-Fi Doorbell - Know Who's at the front door, record audio and video onto the cloud
- A monthly subscription is required for all service plans
5. IN CASE YOU DO HAVE A BREAK-IN
- If it looks like a door or window was forced open, DO NOT go inside. The Burglar may still be on site.
- Call the Police from your mobile phone and wait.
6. ALWAYS GET 3 QUOTES
- Do NOT Sign Up with Door to Door alarm companies with Limited Time Offers. Before you know it you will be on the hook for thousands of dollars with a company that doesn't have a local office.
- Many door to door alarm companies have summer programs (May to September only). After that good luck.
- Be sure to search Google for reviews and ask friends and family who they use for home security.
If you would like more information on Smart Home or Business Security & Automation please Contact Us for a Free Security Evaluation.
SASKATOON SECURITY INQUIRIES
Reed Security Headquarters
Call 306.653.3200 or 1.844.384.SAFE (7233)
PRINCE ALBERT SECURITY INQUIRIES
CALGARY SECURITY INQUIRIES
REGINA SECURITY INQUIRIES
New! ReedHD™ WI-FI Doorbell
The ReedHD™ Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera is a doorbell with an integrated 1080p camera, PIR motion sensor, digital microphone and speaker, enabling homeowners to answer the door, speak to visitors via two-way audio, record doorbell triggered clips, and set motion triggered automation rules – all right from their Alarm.com app.
Integration with Home Automation Devices
Unlock the door right from the app when you receive a doorbell notification.
On-Demand Video & Recorded Clips
Check live view video feed from the app, or record clips automatically when the doorbell is pressed or motion is detected.
Have a two-way conversation with visitors from your mobile device. Motion Sensor Get alerts when a visitor is in front of the door, even if they don't press the doorbell.
Full Color Night Vision
Feel safer knowing visitors can be seen even at night.
Remotely turn off the indoor chime when someone is asleep in the house.
Receive notifications on your mobile device instead of ringing the chime.
Intelligent Lighting Automation
Set up rules to automatically turn on the porch lights when motion is detected at night.
Multiple User Capability
When the doorbell rings, alerts can be sent to multiple users on multiple devices.
Professional Installation included.
For more information please contact us today:
PRINCE ALBERT...Call 306.922.7200
The Fine Print:
*Some conditions apply.
*This unit replaces your existing wired doorbell - must be in good working condition.
*This unit connects to your existing Wi-FI - we need a quality connection at the front door exterior.
*36 month video agreement required.
*Does not require an alarm system.
*Integration with home automation devices requires additional purchase.